What is IBM ?
- IBM is not defined by a product, it’s a company based on innovation.
- IBM started with cheese slicers and time clocks, but today it’s a software and service company.
Five Avenues to be a innovative company :
- Internal Research
- Relationship with Universities,
- Feedback and relationship with clients
- Strong network with Venter Capital network
- Encourage and nurture innovation within the organization
Research & Development is not one thing. Research is disruptive and Development is continuous innovation.
IBM’s engines of Innovation :
- Strategy Teams for Business & Technology
- GTO – Global Technological Outlook every year and every 5 years ( which are rated )
- IBM Research Group ( 3000 Phd’s , largest research groups in the world )
How IBM maintains curiosity & innovative culture :
Strategic beliefs :
- There is a new era of computing
- New people who will start using technology
- It will change the world
Short term execution and long term vision :
- What must change – what we do ( products & services )
- What must endure – The character of your company ( purpose / values )
Nine Practices of IBM ( 1 purpose -3 values -9 practices ) :
Treasure Wild ducks ( A tamed duck forgets to fly / be open to innovate always )
Research Group in IBM ( Long term Focus ) :
- Smarter Planet / Cloud / Social – 75% focus
- Fundamental Research in Computing – 25%
- Working on Oncology ( understands medical language and natural language / digests data )
- 20 years of natural language research and 5 years of artifical intelligence
- Watson 2.0 – it can see / recognize images and pictures and more…
- Watson 3.0 – can learn / debate and reason
- It’s a compliment to humans and is a service, which will help us digest Big Data.
What is the essence of being CEO of IBM :
- Stewardship of employees and shareholders for the long term.
Complete Interview with Ginni Rometty –